On this page we provide documentation and contact information. The documentation is divided in a user manual, describing how to operate the telescope, and separate documents describing the projects one can do with SALSA. Contact information for support can be found at the bottom of the page.
Information about how to control the SALSA radio telescope can be found in the SALSA users manual. This document is available for download in English and in Swedish.
- SALSA is commonly used to observe radio emission from hydrogen to learn about the rotation and structure of our galaxy, the Milky Way. Instructions for doing this project are available for download in English and in Swedish.
- We will add instructions for other projects shortly.
Compare SALSA spectra with state-of-the-art
If you want to compare your SALSA observations with the state-of-the-art observations available from bigger telescopes, you can go to this website to download HI profiles from the GASS and the LAB survey. To get spectra comparable with SALSA, set the effective beamsize to 7 degrees.
- Two of our hard working students, Tarif Rashid Santo (Dhaka, Bangladesh) and Syed Ashraf Uddin (Melbourne, Australia), have published their work online in the International Journal of Astronomy. Their educational work, which we recommend you to read, is titled "Mapping the Spiral Structure of the Milky Way Galaxy at 21cm Wavelength Using the SALSA Radio Telescope of Onsala Space Observatory". The abstract can be found here and a full pdf is available here (in English).
- A popular science description of SALSA was published by Cathy Horellou and Daniel Johansson in the Swedish magazine "Populär astronomi" 2008. The article is available here (in Swedish).
- Salsa was mentioned in the article A Radio Astronomical Star Party for those “On The Verge”, describing a star party in Onsala, Sweden in 2012. The article was published in the CAPjournal (issue 13, 2013) by Eva Wirström and Robert Cumming, a PDF is available here.
If you have any questions, or if you run into problems during your use of SALSA, please first read carefully the User's manual and project instructions above. If you still have questions or found the system is not working as described in the documentation, please contact:
Eskil Varenius, eskil [dot] varenius [at] chalmers [dot] se.